WEST Dorset MP Oliver Letwin will not stand at the next election, he has revealed.
He made the announcement this morning, saying he will retire in 2020 to spend more time with his family.
Asides from the announcement, Mr Letwin said he did not want to make any further comment.
There are unofficial reports that one possibility is his seat could be carved up in to three parts and absorbed in to neighbouring constituencies in a review by the Boundary Commission.
A spokesman said no details can be given at this time, but an official announcement of changes will be made on September 12.
The news comes just days after he was dropped from the Cabinet by new Prime Minister Theresa May.
Mr Letwin has been West Dorset MP since 1997.
He was Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster from 2014 to 2016.
Following the 2015 general election, Letwin was given overall responsibility for the Cabinet Office and became a full member of the Cabinet in the Conservative government. He had previously been Minister of State for Government Policy from 2010 and 2015.
He was also Chairman of the Conservative Research Department and chaired the Conservative Party's Policy Review from 2005 to 2010.
His time in office has not been void of controversy.
In 2009, Mr Letwin was criticised as part of the MP expenses scandal, after he claimed £2,000 from the taxpayer to fix a leaking pipe under his tennis court.
Records showed that in September 200, an invoice for £2,145 was submitted by Mr Letwin for “works ... to lay a new 25mm pipeline to replace the existing leaking pipeline under the tennis court”. The contractors also charged to re-lay the “turfs ... as practical on the sensitive area [around the tennis court].”
In 2011, he came under fire after being snapped throwing constituents' letters in a park bin.
The Daily Mirror reported that he had thrown out more than 100 papers in St James's Park.
Mr Letwin said he had not thrown out government or classified papers, but apologised to constituents.