Pages

Ronnie Campbell, Labour, Blyth Valley retiring MPs #GE2020

Source

Ronnie Campbell has said his re-election as MP for Blyth Valley will be his last one.

Speaking after winning the seat he has held since 1987, the Labour man said he was looking forward to representing the constituency for the next five years.
He secured his latest victory in Thursday’s General Election with 17,813 votes, a majority of just over 9,000.
“This is my seventh general election, so it’s water off a duck’s back now,” he said.
“This is lucky number seven. I have to stop some time, so this will be my last time running.
“I’m 71 now so I think that’ll be enough, but I am delighted to be representing Blyth Valley for another five years, it is an absolute privilege and I thank everyone for voting.
“I will continue to do what I have done for the past 28 years and I will be there for the people and I will help them.
“I might not always win, but I will always try.
“It’s going to be a rough five years, but we will fight.”